Thursday, December 15, 2005

You have a future!



Jeremiah 29:11-12

For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.

It is so very easy to look around the world and come to believe that we are human dice in a gigantic crap shoot. So much of life looks random and planless that it is hard not to fall prey to a sort of Darwinian mindset that tells us to be afraid and to scramble and to look out for No. 1 because no one else will. Nonetheless, today's Scripture assures us that God is not only there, he wills our good, and is not a cosmic practical joker preparing to spring an elaborate and cruel gag on us. Rather, he organizes all of existence for the great good of those who love him and are called according to his plan. Today, take a step of concrete and practical trust in God and ask him to show you the next step in his plan for you.